An attic fire caused between $10,000 and $15,000 damage to a Clearfield home Monday evening.

Clearfield Fire Chief Roger Bodily said the fire at 268 N. Third East started in a light fixture above the kitchen sink and smoldered in the attic for about an hour. The owner, William O. Smith, his wife and three teenagers escaped from the home without injury."It went unnoticed for about an hour causing extensive damage to the attic area," Bodily said. "An estimation is it started about 4:30 or 5 p.m. and finally broke out in flames about the time we arrived."

Some 15 firefighters and two pumper trucks responded to the blaze at 6 p.m. Firefighters broke through the gable ends of the house and ceiling to douse the flames. No firefighters were injured.

The family stayed overnight with relatives in the area.