A house fire, apparently started by a 5-year-old playing with matches Saturday, caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, firefighters said.

West Jordan Fire Capt. Gary Whatcott said the child was in his bedroom at 3101 W. 89th South playing with matches when some clothing caught fire, and the blaze spread to a bed. Apparently the child often wakes up earlier than the rest of the household, he said."The nanny tried to extinguish the blaze, but it was too far gone," What-cott said. Everyone managed to escape the house safely and there were no injuries. He said the house had extensive smoke damage, damage to contents and some structural damage.