The government claimed victory in a four-day military revolt, but armed renegade troops remained inside an army post Monday. A second rebel garrison surrendered to government troops early Monday, the official news agency reported.

Four people were reported killed in the rebellion, the most serious threat to President Raul Alfonsin's civilian government since it replaced a disgraced military dictatorship five years ago.The private news agency Noticias Argentinas said Gen. Isidro Caceres planned to go to the rebel garrison on the outskirts of the capital to disarm troops loyal to Col. Mohamed Ali Seineldin. Seineldin surrendered at the garrison in Villa Martelli on Sunday, ending the military crisis.

The revolt began Thursday when 53 members of an elite coast guard unit rebelled. They joined an estimated 500 rebels, who took over part of the suburban Campo de Mayo base Friday. The rebels moved to Villa Martelli a day later.

Troops at a second rebel garrison, the 6th mechanized infantry regiment in Mercedes, 60 miles east of the capital, laid down their arms Monday, the official news agency Telam said.

Telam said the commander of the Mercedes group, Maj. Hugo Reinaldo Abete, told his troops to lay down their arms following Seineldin's surrender.

Despite the arrest of their leader, the rebels refused to concede defeat late Sunday.

"We don't use the word `surrender;' we use the term `negotiation,' " one of Seineldin's followers, Maj. Luis Alberto Brun, was quoted as saying in an interview with the independent news agency Noticias Argentinas.

Brun said they were being allowed to return to their regiments.

President Raul Alfonsin said Sunday that no concessions were made to obtain Seineldin's surrender.

"This has been a really important success," he told reporters. "There were no concessions of any kind."

It was the third such insurrection in 18 months.

More than 40 civilians and police were hospitalized with wounds from rubber and real bullets fired by rebels at Villa Martelli when rock- and bottle-throwing demonstrators surged forward.

Rebels fired from inside the arsenal and from two cars that sped from the scene, the government news agency Telam reported.

Three civilians and a policeman were killed in Sunday's clash, Radio Rivadavia reported.

The army announced later that Seineldin had given himself up for arrest and that his followers agreed to put down their weapons and explosives.

The rebels had demanded an end to the prosecution of officers for human rights abuses during the military dictatorships from 1976 to 1983; amnesty for officers already convicted; and better military pay and equipment.

One government military officer, Gen. Adolfo Patricio Etcheun, said he and his men agreed with Seineldin's demands that loyalist troops not take up arms against the rebels.

Most Argentines were happy that what they perceived to be a threat to their 5-year-old democracy had been overcome.

"Democracy Triumphed," said a message flashed across the screen by the five TV stations that had been broadcasting simultaneous news of the revolt for nearly 24 hours.

Tens of thousands of people had gathered in plazas throughout the country to repudiate what they viewed as a threat to the 5-year-old democracy. The military, which took power in 1976, returned to the barracks in 1983 after its defeat by Britain in the Falklands War and an economic collapse.

Rebels demanded a stop to trials of military officers implicated in a wave of officially sanctioned terror during military rule. A government commission said nearly 9,000 Argentines were arrested during that time by security forces and presumed killed.>