Rebel soldiers who seized an infantry school and battled loyalist troops surrendered late Friday, ending a revolt staged to demand better pay and amnesty for former commanders imprisoned for human rights violations, officials said.

"Events are under control," Vice President Victor Martinez, acting as Argentina's chief executive in the absence of President Raul Alfonsin, told reporters at 10 p.m.Martinez' announcement was followed three hours later by a Defense Ministry statement saying that at 8 p.m., "the insubordinate troops ... placed themselves under the orders of the (Army) chief of staff."

There was no immediate reaction from rebel leaders on Martinez' announcement, but news reports said the rebels - mostly officers - had only accepted a truce and that three other small, scattered units had voiced support for the revolt.

One radio station, Radio Continental, reported at 1:30 a.m. that shooting - which had subsided after the government's announcements - had been heard again from inside the base.

Martinez said the leader of the rebellion, Col. Mohamed Ali Seineldin, was "under arrest" at the infantry school and had "taken the responsibility for everything that has happened."

"Seineldin is subordinated to his natural leaders (the army chief of staff)," Martinez told reporters outside the government palace in remarks broadcast by radio.

Motorists honked horns in celebration in downtown Buenos Aires after Martinez' announcement, which came in the wake of an hour of sporadic fighting between loyalists and insurgents Friday afternoon at Campo de Mayo base, 20 miles northwest of the capital.

Martinez said at least one rebel officer was "gravely wounded" in the clash that included a mortar bombardment by loyalists and an exchange of small arms fire.

Authorities at the town of Moron near the base said a 19-year-old woman also was wounded by two stray bullets and hospitalized.