A 61-year-old psychiatric patient died Friday and a second person was in intensive care after a Thanksgiving-style turkey dinner that left nearly 100 people ill with food poisoning, officials said.
A total of 26 people were hospitalized after the meal Wednesday at four out-patient centers operated by state-run Rockland Psychiatric Institute, said Nancy McPartlin, Westchester County Health Department spokeswoman.The food was prepared by Flik International, a catering service in Mamaroneck, at a cafeteria at Iona College, she said. McPartlin said more than two dozen Iona students ate the leftovers and went home for the holiday.
"We want students who may suffer any symptoms to go immediately to a doctor or an emergency room and to notify us," said Ms. McPartlin. She said officials also were looking for food handlers who may have snacked on the meal.
McPartlin said those stricken included an unidentified 61-year-old woman who died at Mount Vernon Hospital after suffering a heart attack and symptoms of food poisoning, including vomiting and diarrhea.