From the time he was a youngster in Bountiful when he would walk miles just to watch a football game, Frank "Buss" Williams has been involved in the Utah athletic scene.

He got his start in organized athletics through the old Deseret News Junior Pentathlon, where grade schoolers would compete in a things like the 50-yard dash, the shot put and the broad jump. He remembers as a youngster seeking out any football game he could. Sometimes he would walk up to Kaysville to watch Davis High play and even walked from Bountiful to the University of Utah to watch a game (this was back in the days of the Depression, remember)."I did everything they'd allow you to do and a whole lot they didn't," he said. "That was back in the days when the different seasons were respected."

At Utah State, he competed in football, wrestling, boxing and track and field. In football he played every position except tackle, although his prime positions were fullback and linebacker.

After graduating from Utah State in 1948, Williams played two years of professional football, for the New York Giants in 1948 and Green Bay in 1949. With a masters degree in hand, he taught and coached for 10 years in Montana before returning to USU in 1960 as an assistant football coach and head coach in wrestling and baseball. After three years on John Ralston's football staff, he went over to Stanford for a year with Ralston before returning to Logan in 1964 as the athletic director.

Under Williams' regime, USU's two major athletic facilities, the Spectrum for basketball and Romney Stadium for football, were constructed. Those were a couple of his highlights as athletic director.

"One of my main accomplishments was maintaining a competitive program as an independent," he said. "It was tough trying to find a place for minor sports to succeed, but we managed to make the thing work."

In 1972 Williams resigned to go into business. He had his own business for awhile and for the past six years has worked as a consultant for Golf Card International in Salt Lake City.

Oh, and how did he get the nickname of Buss, which is what he's been known by for most of his life?

It seems that when he was a youngster, his mother used to call him "Buster." It got shortened to Bus and his first grade teacher spelled it with two S's. It's been Buss ever since.