Jim Davis is the third generation of his family to live in South Salt Lake, where he is now the mayor.

"I was a City Hall brat. My mother was the city accountant for 20 years. My father was a sheet metal worker for the old Salt Lake Lines. . .he pounded out dents in buses," Davis recalls.Born in 1945, Davis was raised a Democrat, "through and through." He went to local schools, graduating from Granite High School.

He was a student body officer at the University of Utah and graduated in 1972 in political science.

In 1971 he was named the U's housing administrator, a job he held until he was elected South Salt Lake mayor-city administrator in 1977.

He was on the City Council for two years before being elected mayor. Davis is in his third term as mayor. He filed for the state auditor's race this year, but dropped out when Wilson picked him as his lieutenant governor running mate.

Davis married Susan Smith in 1970. The couple has eight children, including two sets of twins.

O e convicted murderer assigned to an inmate work crew at a downtown state government building escaped by walking away through a crowd of people, authorities said.

Timothy Barry, 38, who had served 10 years of a life sentence for the kidnapping and killing of his sister-in-law, was last seen around 9:15 a.m. Tuesday on the 22nd floor of the Saltonstall Building on Cambridge Street, state officials said.

Barry was convicted of second-degree murder after he confessed to killing Nancy Ellen Brown, 23, who died of a skull fracture after being hit with a blunt instrument in 1977.

He told police he kidnapped the victim from her parents' home in Everett, blindfolded her and drove her in her car to Crane Beach Reservation in Ispwich, where she was found buried in sand dunes.

"There is no indication that Barry is dangerous, but anyone on escape should be considered dangerous," state Correction Department spokeswoman Kathy Ayres said.

Barry, who was incarcerated at the Bay State Correctional Center in Norfolk, was part of a work crew assigned to move furniture and clean windows and floors in the Correction Department's former parole office, Ayres said.

He apparently was able to escape by mixing in with crowds of people entering the building in the morning, she said. Barry is eligible for parole in 1994.