Val Oveson, 36, has been in and around government for more years than his youthful looks suggest.

He was one of the youngest Utah state auditors ever elected when he won the post at 28. He won re-election easily in 1980 and was going to run for a third term before Gov. Norm Bangerter asked him to run as his lieutenant governor candidate in 1984.Oveson was born and raised in Utah County. His father was a Geneva Steel worker, and when Oveson was 3 and one half, his family moved to a fruit farm above Orem.

Oveson was student body president at Orem High School his senior year, governor of Boys State and a star on the football team. It was on a mission for the LDS Church, where he kept accounts, that he realized that his lifelong love of numbers could be a profession. "I decided to be an accountant."

After graduating from Brigham Young University, Oveson worked for an accounting firm and started his own firm before winning the state auditor's office. Oveson and his wife, Emilee Nebeker, have four children.

ff Jdecided The minister for a couple whose premature infant was snatched from a hospital asked the kidnapper to "place the child in a warm and safe place" and call him.

The Rev. Dennis Edwards made the plea during a live televised news conference Tuesday night as the baby's mother left the hospital to return home without her son.

"I have reason to believe that the person who took this child would like to see this child returned safely," Edwards, pastor of St. John Baptist Church, said without elaborating.

"Please return this baby to his parents, Willie and Annette Jones. Place the child in a warm and safe place, and then call me immediately," said the minister, who then gave his home telephone number.

Christopher Michael Jones, born six weeks premature, was taken from his mother's room at Doctors Hospital Nov. 1 by a woman impersonating a nurse.

Doctors say the baby needs immediate medical attention, and he may die.

"The doctors have assured me that the chance of harm to this child continue to increase every day," Edwards said. "Christopher Jones needs continual medical help."

Police Lt. R.L. "Bert" Jenkins said the Police Department had received as many as 400 calls about the case, but all produced dead ends.