A garage fire in an east Provo home Sunday night caused about $140,000 damage, fire department officials said.

The fire 4078 N. Quail Road apparently started from hot ashes left in a garbage can, said Battalion Chief Robert Bryson of the Provo City Fire Department. The garage and two cars were burned, and there was smoke damage to the home.

Neighbors discovered the fire and woke the family. The fire department was called at 11:42 p.m., and three engines and 15 firefighters responded.

"The ashes were from a wood-burning stove. We have a lot of fires like that this time of year," Bryson said.