Federal prosecutors threatened to seek contempt of court charges against Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos for failing to provide fingerprints, palm prints and handwriting and voice samples.

A hearing was scheduled Thursday before U.S. District Judge John Walker, who could order the former Philippine president and first lady jailed.Walker previously had ordered the couple to comply with the requests contained in subpoenas issued earlier this year by the grand jury that indicted them on charges of looting the Philippine treasury of more than $100 million.

A federal appeals court late last month upheld Walker's decision that the Marcoses no longer have head-of-state immunity and must honor the subpoenas.

On Wednesday, tobacco heiress Doris Duke said she put up Mrs. Marcos' $5 million bail on the racketeering charges because she is "disgusted, embarrassed and ashamed" with the way the U.S. government has treated the Marcoses.

Virtually all of the couple's assets are frozen or otherwise tied up in litigation.

"I have always believed that an accused person is innocent until proved guilty. I wish the rest of America agreed with me," Duke, 75, said in written response to questions submitted by the Daily News.

Duke, once called "the richest girl in the world," said she would gladly testify as a character witness for the Marcoses, whom she said she considers her "dear friends."

"I am disgusted, embarrassed and ashamed of my country's mistreatment of Imelda and her ailing husband, Ferdinand," Duke wrote. "Why should America spend millions and millions of dollars prosecuting two people who for a generation have been our closest allies, including our Pacific outpost against communism?"

A lawyer for Duke, Donald Robinson, said Wednesday the wealthy recluse posted the bond "because she knows that Mrs. Marcos didn't commit any crimes."

Duke, who has a 2,700-acre estate in New Jersey, pledged more than $5 million in municipal bonds on behalf of Mrs. Marcos. A lawyer for Mrs. Marcos said she planned to visit with Duke through the weekend even though she would be free to return to Hawaii as soon as the bail paperwork was completed.

U.S. District Judge John F. Keenan loosened travel restrictions for Mrs. Marcos _ previously confined to the New York area - allowing her to travel between New York City and Newport, R.I., where Duke has a mansion.

Once the bail documents are signed, Mrs. Marcos will be allowed to travel anywhere in the United States. Her husband, however, cannot leave the island of Oahu without permission of the Justice Department, under a prior restriction.

Lawyers said Duke's bonds would be worth between $5.3 million and $5.4 million depending on market fluctuations.