Today's article is for the weekend conference visitor and others who are interested in an architectural tour of downtown Salt Lake. For purposes of brevity - in reading and touring - I have limited the geography and the number of buildings.
Hotel Utah, northeast corner of South Temple and Main. It was designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style by architects Parkinson and Bergstrom, of Los Angeles, who said it was in the style of "Modern Italian Renaissance." Built between 1909 and 1911, it has passed through this century as one of the grandest of hotels. A Deseret News article of June 6, 1911, said: "There is not a hotel from the Atlantic to the Pacific which has the elegance, the comfort, and the general beauty possessed by the Hotel Utah." The building is currently closed to the public as it undergoes a remodeling change from a hotel to an office building.LDS Church Administration Building at 47 E. South Temple. The building was constructed between 1914 and 1917 and designed by the architect Joseph Don Carlos Young. This structure is an excellent example of Classical design. It is constructed in granite taken from Little Cottonwood Canyon, and it's most prominent feature is 24 Greek Ionic columns that make up the exterior facade.
Lion House and Beehive House at 63 and 67 E. South Temple. The structures were designed by Truman O. Angell who was also the architect for the Salt Lake Temple. Both structures were built in the early 1850s as residences for Brigham Young.
Alta Club on the southeast corner of South Temple and State Street. This building was constructed in the late 1890s as the headquarters for the Alta Club, a private organization for prominent Salt Lake businessmen. The architect for the building, Frederick A. Hale, designed it in the Italian Renaissance style.
Salt Lake City Public Library at 15 South State. This building was constructed in 1905 as a library and more recently converted to a planetarium. Constructed of oolite limestone from Sanpete County, the Beaux-Arts Classical library was designed by Hines and LaFarge of New York City.
Orpheum Theatre at 128 South State. This structure "was built in 1905 as Salt Lake City's first high-quality vaudeville theatre." The architect was Carl M. Neuhausen, who also designed the Thomas Kearns mansion (Governor's Mansion on 603 E. South Temple). The theater, currently the Promised Valley Playhouse, is an excellent example of Second Renaissance Revival architecture.
Brooks Arcade at 268 South State. Built in 1891, the Brooks Arcade is one of Utah's finest examples of Richardsonian-Romanesque architecture. The architects were Dallas and Hedges who also designed the McCune mansion on 529 E. South Temple.
Exchange Place Historic District. This district is comprised of several historic structures of which a few are mentioned here: Commercial Club Building (32 Exchange Place) which is Second Renaissance Revival. Federal Building (Main and Post Office Place) which is Neo-Classical Revival. Boston and Newhouse buildings at Main and Exchange Place. These buildings were among Utah's first skyscrapers. They are commercial style in stone facing and classical detailing. The architect was Henry Ives Cobb whose primary practice was in Chicago and New York. Salt Lake Stock and Mining Exchange (39 Exchange Place) is of Neo-Classical Revival architecture.
Salt Lake City and County Building at 451 Washington Square. This is one of the most ambitious historic architecture restorations in Salt Lake City. It is still under construction but the exterior is shaping into a magnificent restoration of Romanesque Revival architecture. The architects were Monheim, Bird and Proudfoot. It was built in 1905 of Utah Kyune sandstone. Sculptured ornament, believed to have been executed by a Mr. Linde, is found on all of the exterior facades. In addition to his own, he carved the portraits of the mayor, the federal judge, several pioneer women, Chief Joseph, Chief Wahkara, Chief Wasachaka and Jim Bridger. Above each of the four entries are pressed metal statues representing Commerce, Liberty, Justice and Columbia.
Eagle Emporium at 102 South Main. Constructed in 1863 of one-story brick with the upper two stories added in the mid-1880s. The exterior scheme was unified in 1916 when the present Neo-Classical Revival facade of terra-cotta was added. The building currently functions as Zion's First National Bank. In front of it, at First South and Main Street, is a clock that is one of the few remaining pieces of 19th-century street furniture remaining in Salt Lake.
On your walking tour you will have passed numerous other historic structures that are worthy of note. For a more complete review of historic architecture in Utah, I recommend that you visit the Utah Historic Society in the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot, at 300 South Rio Grande in Salt Lake City.