Restoration of several stained-glass windows at the First Presbyterian Church, located at South Temple and C Street, is the focus of a new $50,000 fund-raising campaign. First installed near the turn of the century, the windows are showing the effects of local climatic conditions, and the church has scheduled a series of fund-raising events to help save the treasured windows. Two planned for October are:
-A Scottish Ceilidh Oct. 29. at 6 p.m. at the church. The activity will include a Scottish meal of shepherd's pie and trifle. Entertainment will include pipers, highland and country dancers, traditional songs and music. Specialty foods and desserts will be sold at concession booths. Admission is $3.50.-The Kirkin'O'the'Tartan on Oct. 30. The special worship service will include an appearance by British Vice-Consul John Houlton, who will bring greetings from the Queen. Clan representatives will also be present to have family tartans blessed.
In addition to participating in these activities, the public is invited to contribute to the church's building fund. Donors should specify that the money go to the Stained Glass Repair Fund. For more information, call 363-3889.
The windows are one of the most distinctive features of the building. Stained wood and art glass combine to create scenes filled with dazzling color and texture.
Church leaders say the windows are in critical condition. The lead between many of the the panes and the exterior handcrafted scrollwork is loose. This is evident when looking at the windows from inside the sanctuary, where slivers of light can be seen.
Observers can also see cracks shooting across the interior glass and the supportive glass on the exterior of the building. A few pieces of glass have holes in them.
The current fund-raising project is the first to focus on the windows. In recent years, a $200,000 restoration of the sanctuary as well as modernization of the mechanical facilities was completed. Initial restoration will focus on the three large windows in the sanctuary - "The Nativity," "Gethsemane," and "The Resurrection." They were completed in 1905.
"The Nativity" was a gift of the Women's Society. It cost $2,500.
The east window, "The Resurrection," was demolished in a storm on Oct. 1, 1906. It cost $3,000 to replace it.
The seven smaller windows on the west side of the church were made by G.T. Giles of Minneapolis, Minn. They depict the life of Christ, and were installed in 1905 at a cost of $250 each.
To restore the church's windows will cost "something in excess of $50,000," said Coordinator of Ministries Ina R. White. "And that figure is conservative."
She added that the church has not yet selected a contractor. "We need financial backing in place before signing with contractors."
The design of the building was modeled after Carlisle Cathedral in Scotland. Architectural style is "English-Scottish Gothic Revival." Exterior material used for the original building was red butte stone. Part of the addition was built in red brick. Ornamental work was terra-cotta. The cornerstone was laid on June 4, 1903, and the building was ready for use in 1905. Total cost was $160,000.
The building is listed on the Utah State Register of Historical Sites and is part of the SLC Avenues Historic District.