Cuba, Angola, South Africa and the United States have agreed that all 50,000 Cuban troops should be withdrawn from Angola within 24 to 30 months, according to a published report Monday.
The New York Times quoted American officials, whom it did not identify, as saying the accord stemmed from three days of negotiations in New York.U.S. officials, who mediated the talks, could not immediately be reached to respond to the report. Some sources close to the talks earlier told The Associated Press that no agreement had been obtained in New York.
In Johannesburg, Roland Darroll, a Foreign Affairs spokesman, said South Africa, Cuba and Angola had agreed that Cuban troops should be withdrawn from Angola within 24 to 30 months.
"That was the agreement in Brazzaville. It was subject to consultation with the governments," he said.
He said he had no further information.
Negotiators had not expected a breakthrough at the New York meetings. They were hastily arranged because senior diplomats from all the nations involved were in New York attending the 43rd U.N. General Assembly.