A Romanian farmer was injured when a pig he had slaughtered for his Christmas dinner exploded.

A doctor who treated the farmer's wounds at Cluj, in Transylvania, told Reuters Thursday the man had inflated the dead pig with butane gas to make it easier to clean the skin.Transylvanians traditionally eat pork at Christmas and treat the rind as a delicacy. Farmers inflate the pig using the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner or a pump to tauten the skin and burn straw to remove the hair and clean it.

The farmer's cleaner was broken so he used bottled gas. The pig exploded.