Ooooooo . . . Halloween is nearly upon us, and at this time of year, people remember hauntings, ghosts and legends.

One of the legendary stories in Ogden revolves around a statue of a World War I soldier, which was erected in the middle of the Ogden City Cemetery.Barbara Bernstein, a grant writer at Weber State University, said she was told the story about 12 years ago by members of her Brownie Scout troop.

"If you walk or drive around the statue three times, then on the third time he'll follow you with his eyes and you will die," said Bernstein.

"And when I told other people about the story, they said, `Yes, yes, everybody knows about it,' " she said.

Bernstein said people must drive around the statue counterclockwise, and they must drive at night, preferably around midnight when the moon is full.

So take a trip to the cemetery sometime on a moonlit night, and watch the teenagers drive around the statue.

Another story involves the ghost that supposedly haunts Union Station on lower 25th Street.

Suzan Crawford, a former Union Station museum coordinator, said that she's been told that the night staff regularly comes into contact with the mischievous ghost.

"I've heard there's a ghost there by the name of Yehudi," she explained. "They (the staff) have seen the elevator going up and down with nobody on it. They've seen windows open and close."

Crawford said that the hauntings occur at night. She said one of the spookiest reports about Yehudi was when a window in the grand lobby was found open. She said the window is rather high above the floor and nobody could easily get to it to close it. The window stayed open for about two weeks before it mysteriously shut.

Bruce Carlson, a Utah Department of Transportation employee, says he experienced a haunting in 1968, when he lived in a garret apartment at 2727 Monroe Ave.

To get to the small apartment, Carlson had to climb up some old rickety wooden stairs. "I'd be sitting in the apartment when I would get sort of a whoosh go by me," he said. "I thought nothing of it."

Carlson said he felt the presence was that of female energy, which didn't frighten him. "I thought it was friendly," he said.

"Then one night I was lying in bed and I felt this soft, cold puffy finger touching my face. It was real strange. I wasn't asleep."

Carlson said he never told anybody about the presence for quite a while. And when he mentioned the experiences to his friends, he said they told him they weren't surprised because the house had a reputation for being haunted. "It happened back when I was cosmic," he said.

Bill Allred, a disc jockey at KJQ radio, said he remembers a spooky story that he got involved in back around 1957.

It centered at the Sacred Heart Academy, located at 25th Street and Quincy Avenue before it was torn down. The academy was a parochial school, where Catholic nuns taught.

"It was a beautiful Victorian building," Allred recalled. "It was a spooky old building. It was surrounded by a big hedge, maybe 8 or 10 feet high. It had a lot of apple trees on the grounds."

Allred said that, according to the legend, if you sneaked onto the grounds at night and got caught stealing apples, the gardeners would take you down and cut off your ears with their shears.

"That was part of the excitement of stealing the apples," said Allred. "The fear of getting caught and having your ear chopped off."

Kurt Burr remembers a ghost story told around many a campfire at Camp Bartlett, outside Ovid, Idaho, across the border from Logan.

He said he heard the story when he went there as a Boy Scout. Burr said the story told of a judge and his family who had years before lived in a cabin where the campsite was now located.

One day while the judge was in town, the cabin burned down and his wife and children died in the flames, said Burr. The judge was informed of the deaths, so he went back to his property and lived there in a tent.

"He became rather eccentric," recalled Burr. "He went less and less into town. Then one day he disappeared. They say he still walks around the area and destroys any permanent dwelling built on the grounds."

Burr said that fortunately, the Scouts slept in tents. "But a lot of kids were really afraid at night," he added. "They tended to travel in groups, even to go to the latrine."