The partner of a slain policewoman, who took three bullets himself but kept going, was hailed as "one of Chicago's sons" for killing a troubled gunman and ending a bloody rampage that left five people dead.

When the smoke from the Thursday shootout cleared, Clemie Henderson, 40, a decorated veteran with a long criminal history, was dead, and Officer Gregory Jaglowski was seriously wounded."He is truly one of Chicago's heroes, one of Chicago's sons," Police Superintendent LeRoy Martin said of Jaglowski.

Policewoman Irma Ruiz, the owner of an auto parts store where the shooting began, the store's manager and a custodian at a school across the street were shot to death by Henderson, police said. A passer-by was slightly injured.

The shooting started around 10 a.m. at the Comet Auto Parts store and ended at the Montefiore School, a West Side school for boys with discipline problems. The school has 130 students ages 10 to 16, but none was injured and only one was a witness to the carnage.

Martin said the gunman, wielding a .38-caliber pistol and pockets full of bullets, burst into the store, where he shot and killed store owner John Van Dyke, 41, of Lemont, and manager Robert Quinn, 26, of Franklin Park, as they stood behind the counter.

Henderson then walked outside, where he shot and wounded the city sanitation worker before heading to the high school across the street, where he killed the building custodian.

Ruiz, a 39-year-old mother of four, and Jaglowski, 38 - members of a special unit that patrols schools - were on the school grounds at the time on an unrelated duty. They apparently were taken by surprise when Henderson opened fire on them just outside the school's main door.

After killing Ruiz and wounding Jaglowski, Henderson ran back into the school and reloaded his gun. Jaglowski, though suffering a gunshot wound, pulled himself to his feet and went in after Henderson, Martin said.

"(Jaglowski) took two more hits, but he was able to fatally wound the offender," Martin said.

Jaglowski underwent surgery Thursday afternoon at Mount Sinai hospital, where he was visited by Martin and Mayor Eugene Sawyer. His condition was upgraded from fair to stable, and a hospital spokesman said Jaglowski was talking with family members and "doing fine."

"That officer, almost at the cost of his own life, stopped (Henderson's) rampage," Martin said. "As soon as I can get him back on his feet, he'll be wearing all the other awards that the police force can bestow upon him."

Henderson, a divorced father of three whose most recent job was a hairdresser, served in the Army from Dec. 8, 1966, to April 24, 1970, when he received a less than honorable discharge, the Veterans Administration said.