A slice of homemade bread nearly destroyed an apartment housing two LDS Church missionaries.

West Jordan firemen quickly doused the blaze at 1903 W. 7865 South that originated from a stuck piece of bread in a toaster, said West Jordan Fire Capt. Gary Whatcott.He said the missionaries left the apartment Wednesday morning, forgetting about a slice of bread one of them had put in the toaster. The thickly sliced homemade bread became stuck, which kept the toaster on, allowing the heat to build. The heat caused nearby items to catch fire.

"It totally took out the kitchen cabinetry, the kitchen counter and a microwave," Whatcott said. Although the fire was limited to the kitchen, he estimated damage at $15,000.