President Jose Napoleon Duarte has revoked the amnesty granted to three men linked to the 1985 slaying of six Americans, including four Marines, a judicial official confirmed Monday.
San Salvador's two morning dailies, La Prensa and El Diario de Hoy, cited unidentified sources in reporting the decision.Rene Valdivieso, secretary of the Martial Court, confirmed the newspapers' accounts but declined to give more details until later in the day.
Jorge Serrano, the military judge who ruled the three men should be included in a broad amnesty program enacted last year, had earlier told The Associated Press he could not confirm the revocation.
"Notification has not reached me," he said by telephone. Serrano said Duarte has notified the Martial Court, the highest military tribunal, of his decision. But Serrano said he did not know what that decision was.
Duarte, in his capacity as commander in chief of the armed forces, was empowered to review the Martial Court's decision confirming Serrano's ruling that the three should be included in the amnesty.Comment on this story
The government's amnesty program for political prisoners was put in place as part of the Central American peace plan signed last August by Duarte and four other presidents of the region.
Thirteen people were killed June 19, 1985, when assailants wearing Salvadoran army uniforms opened fire with automatic weapons on patrons at two outdoor cafes in San Salvador.
The Marines, who were guards at the U.S. Embassy, were wearing civilian clothes and were seated at two tables with other young people when the assailants drove up in a red pickup truck. Two U.S. businessmen were also among the dead.