A potentially explosive fire at a cabinet and furniture warehouse was quickly extinguished by firefighters Monday afternoon, thanks largely to a sprinkling system in the building.

West Jordan Fire Capt. Gary Whatcott said the sprinkling system at Wasatch Cabinet and Furniture Co., 3412 W. 86th South, helped prevent the fire from spreading into nearby chemical and paint storage bins."Had it gotten into there, there would have been some explosions," Whatcott said. "It had the potential of being extremely dangerous."

Whatcott said the fire started about 3:20 p.m. from a spark or friction from a hand drill an employee was using in a highly flammable area of the warehouse where lacquer and other chemicals are sprayed onto furniture. The fire was mostly contained to one room but got into the duct system of large exhaust fans, he said.

The fire did not cause a lot of structural damage, but Whatcott said there was a lot of water damage to furniture and storage wood. He said an official damage estimate has not been determined but said it would probably be between $25,000 and $30,000.