St. Ann School, 2100 S. 430 East, will be renamed Kearns-St. Ann School. The name change was prompted by plans to renovate the 91-year-old building during the next five years.

The 2 1/2-story building was designed by Carl M. Neuhausen, architect for the Cathedral of the Madeliene and the Thomas Kearns Mansion. It was original built as an asylum for orphans, and major funding was provided by the Kearns family and the Patrick Phelan estate.It was operated as an orphanage by the Sisters of the Holy Cross until 1955, when the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word opened an elementary school there. A recreation center was completed in 1986, which includes a lunch room and gymnasium. The school serves 300 students in kindergarten through eighth grade and operates an extended day program.