The captain of Delta Flight 1141 exclaimed "We're not gonna make it!" 11 seconds before the jet crashed on takeoff, the cockpit recording shows.

The pilots discovered their aircraft was in serious trouble about 21 seconds before the plane struck the ground, the Dallas Times Herald reported Thursday.The plane crashed at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport Aug. 31 while taking off on a flight for Salt Lake City. The Boeing 727 exploded and broke apart upon impact, killing 13 of the 108 people on board. The pilots were injured but survived.

The partial transcript, obtained Wednesday by the newspaper, shows that approximately nine seconds after what appeared to be a normal takeoff, a cockpit alarm indicated the jet was not able to gather enough speed to stay aloft.

A second later, Capt. Larry Davis said, "Something's wrong. Ohhh." One of the final entries on the transcript appears to be a scream.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators said last week that the cockpit recording indicates there were two compressor stalls, or disruptions of air flow, one each in two of the engines. The transcript, however, notes five possible compressor stalls within six seconds, a set of two followed within seconds by three more, the newspaper reported.

After the first two stalls were noted, co-pilot Carey Kirkland said, "Engine failure."

Just after the three possible stalls were noted, someone in the cockpit said, "We got an engine failure."

Three seconds later, Davis said, "We're not gonna make it."

At that point, someone attempted to communicate something to the tower, saying only, "Eleven-forty one's . . ."

Davis then exclaimed, "Full power!"

Kirkland followed with unintelligible words just a fraction of a second before what is believed to be the sound of impact is heard on the recording.

The recording then ends with a possible scream.

NTSB investigators say they have not been able to determine whether any compressor stalls actually occurred. The engines are to be tested at the Pratt & Whitney manufacturing plant in Hartford, Conn.