Four little boys and their mother are being cared for by the Red Cross after their apartment burned Saturday evening.

Battalion Chief Larry Olson, Salt Lake County Fire, said a five-year-old boy was playing with a cigarette lighter he found in the street when he set the bedroom curtains on fire in the duplex at 5100 S. 4950 West.The boy's brothers, ages 2 to 7, and a 7 year-old female cousin were in the unit when the blaze took hold. The mother was visiting a friend across the street.

Olson said the cousin helped get all the boys out safely. The little girl told Olson she learned what to do in case of fire at school.

It took firefighters five minutes to control the blaze.

Fire officials estimate damage to the two-unit structure at $4,000. Contents destroyed were valued at $750. Fire did not reach the other unit, Olson reported, although both units sustained smoke damage.