Outfitters differ widely in the style of trips they conduct. Wilderness River Outfitters offers personalized adventures that cater to the whims of their clients. Guests can pretty well dictate how they spend their time. The guides are willing to teach clients about wilderness survival, reading river currents, Dutch-oven cooking, etc. It's more teach-by-participation than observation.
For example, on our trip those of us in the paddleboat took turns giving directions for going through the rapids - under the watchful eye of our guide, of course. At the end of the five days I felt I had completed River Running 101.Although prices vary from one outfitter to the next, you're looking at about $800 per person for a five-day trip on the Salmon.
For a directory of river outfitters and wilderness guides in Idaho, send your name and address to Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association, P.O. Box 95, Boise, Idaho 83701, or call 1 (208) 342-1438.
Outfitters from Salmon include:
- Aggipah River Trips, P.O. Box 425, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-4167.
- Happy Hollow Vacations, Star Route Box 14, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-3954.
- Eakin Ridge Outfitters, P.O. Box 1382, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-2047.
- Double D Outfitters, P.O. Box 1070, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-4616.
- Rusty Gore's Salmon River Jet Boat & Float Trips, P.O. Box 835, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-4550.
- Guth (Norman H.) Inc., P.O. Box D, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-3279.
- Kingfisher Expeditions, P.O. Box 1095, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-4688.
- Moser's Idaho Adventures River Trips, P.O. Box 834, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-2986.
- Silver Cloud Expeditions, P.O. Box 1006, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-6215.
- Salmon Angler, P.O. Box 854, Salmon ID 83467; (208) 756-4192.
- Warren River Expeditions, P.O. Box 1375, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-6387.
- Wilderness River Outfitters and Trail Expeditions, P.O. Box 871, Salmon, ID 83467; (208) 756-3959.