The Utah Chapter of American Penwomen has announced the winners of its annual competition. They are:
Short story: Marilyn O. Chapman; Juvenile story: Geraldine T. Fielding; General article: Dora D. Flack; Historical article: Geraldine Fielding; Vignette: Wanda Rhodes.Personal essay: Wanda Rhodes; Serious poetry: Jerrilyn Black; Narrative poetry: Maxine Jennings; Light verse: Belle DeJong VanWagenen.
Winners of the music awards were JoAnne Smith, Kristeen Polhamous, Janice Kapp Perry and Janae Baird.
- CAROL BENNION QUIST of Salt Lake City has won the Grand Prize in the Pennsylvania Poetry Society competition for her sonnet "Surseason."
Alice Morrey Bailey, Helen Mar Cook and Clarence Socwell also won awards.
- THE LEAGUE OF UTAH WRITERS' South Jordan Chapter will meet at 6:45 p.m. Monday, May 20, in the old church at 10353 S. 1300 West.
Trudy McMurrin will address the group about editing, publishing and distribution. Phone 254-2047 for details.
- JOHN McCORMICK will discuss the Zane Grey novel "Riders of the Purple Sage" at 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, at the Eastside Senior Citizen Center, 2375 E. 3300 South, as part of the Book Group series.
- LEVI PETERSON will discuss "Greening Wheat," an anthology of Mormon writing, at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, at the Brigham City Library, 25 E. Forest Street.
- FROST BOOKS in Foothill Village will present a discussion of the book "The Education of Little Tree" at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 22. The book, by Joyce Goodman, deals with the customs of ethnic minorities in mainstream society. For information call 582-8428.
- LARRY LEVIS and LESLIE KELEN will read from their work at 8 p.m. Thursday, May 23, at 240 S. Main as part of the City Art reading series.
Levis is a professor of English at the University of Utah; Kelen directs the Oral and History Institute. The reading is free and open to the public.
- Compiled by Jerry Johnston. Send information for Literary footnotes to him at the Deseret News, P.O. Box 1257, Salt Lake City, UT 84110.