New York Mets president Fred Wilpon on Saturday denied a broadcast report that the club is for sale.

Fox Entertainment News, based in Los Angeles, reported late Friday night that Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, co-owners of the team, had asked a holding company to accept bids for the team.Fox did not cite its source and said the minimum bid being sought by the holding company, which it said is based in Buffalo, N.Y., was $250 million. The report did not identify the holding company or give further details, Fox spokeswoman Jill Tsukamoto said.

Wilpon said no bids are being asked for.

Deputy commissioner Steve Greenberg also said he had not heard about the Mets being put up for sale.

"I'm pretty sure we would have heard something about that," Greenberg said.

The Mets are owned by Sterling Doubleday Enterprises LP, a company half-owned by Wilpon, 54, and half-owned by Doubleday, 57. Sterling Doubleday brought control of the team for $80.75 million in 1986 from Doubleday and Co. Inc., the book publisher.

Doubleday and Co. purchased 95 percent of the Mets for $21.1 million in 1980 from the family of Joan Payson, the team's original owner. Wilpon had owned the other 5 percent.