Florida officials say shark may be hazardous to your health - even when it's on a dinner plate.

Two state agencies issued a health advisory Monday after state scientists found high amounts of mercury in shark samples."For those who continue eating shark, the frequency and amount consumed is directly related to the risk of mercury poisoning," said Dr. Charles Mahan, state health officer. The Food and Drug Administration confirmed the findings.

Mercury poisoning can damage the central nervous system, impair vision and coordination and is sometimes fatal.

Studies have failed to pinpoint the source of the mercury, which has turned up before not only in sharks but in fish and animals throughout the Everglades. Suspected causes range from contaminated soil to hazardous waste incinerators.

Adults should eat shark no more than once a week and children and women of childbearing age should have it no more than once a month, authorities said.