No time to shop? These tips are provided by the American Dietetic Association:
- Make a list before you go. Walk down only those aisles that contain items on your shopping list.- Walk around the perimeter of the market first to select produce, meats, poultry, fish and dairy foods.
- Buy timesaving cut vegetables from the salad bar as well as bagged, cut vegetables from the produce section.
- Use low-calorie, low-fat salad dressings as marinades for meat, poultry and vegetables.
- Canned beans are a timesaver, but rinse with water before using to lower sodium content.
- Buy large packages of grains and pastas. They are economical and convenient to have on hand for quick meals and side dishes.