Salt Lake firefighters extinguished an attic blaze Thursday morning that fire officials said would have quickly spread if had not been spotted when it was.

A fire started in the attic of a home at 2554 S. Green Street (640 East). Bond insulation in the attic was burning when firefighters arrived, said Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Jim Kleine.Firefighters had to open up the roof to get to the fire, but were able to perform a "quick save," Kleine said. Damage was estimated at $5,000. Fire officials suspect electrical wiring problems may have caused the blaze. No one was injured.