Salt Lake County sheriff's detectives are continuing to investigate the disappearance Thursday of a gas-station clerk and money taken from the station.

"We haven't had any luck yet. We haven't heard a thing," Capt. Bill Van Wagenen said Friday.A manager arrived at the Phillips 66 station, 4216 S. Redwood, at 6 a.m. Thursday and found the 24-hour store locked. The clerk who was on duty was missing, and a note on the door said the store would be closed until 6 a.m.

An hour and a half later, an area manager arrived and unlocked the store. When the two entered, they discovered that more than $1,000 was missing from the store's safe and cash registers. Also missing was the night clerk's car, described as a 1986 burgundy Toyota Corolla. The last receipt in the cash register was made at 2:03 a.m.

The missing man is Robert E. Lindsay, 28, Taylorsville. He is a nephew of Elder Richard P. Lindsay, a member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

An "all-points bulletin" with a description of Lindsay and his vehicle has been issued throughout the Western states, Van Wagenen said. Fingerprints also are being analyzed.

"It was very neat. That's one of the things that concerned us," the captain said. The drawers to the registers had been closed, and, except for the key to the outside door, all other keys had been returned to a hook.

Although the employee was not supposed to have known the combination to the safe, Van Wagenen said other employees said he could have learned it had he wanted to.

A employee at the station told the Deseret News that the night clerk also had a good job during the day, he had recently received a raise and was a stable family man. He had been stationed behind bulletproof glass.

Lindsay has three young children and was working several days at the store from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. He worked at his day job from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Friends and family members describe Lindsay as having "an impeccable reputation and character."

Although detectives have not ruled out the possibility that Lindsay robbed the store and ran, they are treating the incident as a kidnapping. "It'd be easy to say he took off with the money, but I can't do that," Van Wagenen said. "I still have to look at it from the standpoint that he is a victim."

The captain said, however, that it is uncommon for a kidnapper to wait so long before communicating with the family or law enforcement officers.

Lindsay had had problems with another employee at the store who has since been terminated. Detectives are looking into that possible connection but have few leads.