Two men and four children died at a campground of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from a space heater inside a tent that had been sealed against howling winds and rain, authorities said Monday.

Five of the victims were dead when campground officials checked the tent Sunday night, and the sixth died later at a hospital, state police said.The two men and the children, members of three families, had gone camping at the Bourne Scenic Campground near the Bourne Bridge on Friday night. They were expected home Sunday night, but when they failed to show, concerned relatives notified authorities, who made the grim discovery about 8:40 p.m.