QUESTION: Is there a source of information on how to travel in Europe while working along the way?

ANSWER: There are some sources, usually aimed at students, that list contacts for low-paying jobs like working as an au pair, farm worker, hotel employee or tour company guide. Many listings are for volunteer work, which sometimes include lodging and meals."Work, Study, Travel Abroad," edited by Del Franz of the Council on International Educational Exchange, presents the basics of traveling and working abroad, lists study programs and gives advice and sources for finding jobs.

The book stresses volunteer work; it is updated each year, and the 1990-91 edition costs $10.95. The Council operates programs that allow U.S. students to work abroad temporarily. The New York office is at 205 East 42d Street, New York, N.Y. 10017; (212) 661-0142.

"Working Holidays 1991," published by in Britain by the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges, presents information on paid and volunteer work in more than 100 countries.

Many of the agencies and employers are in Britain, as are embassy addresses. The book is available for $19.95 plus $3 shipping from the Institute of International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, N.Y. 10017; payment must be included with a request.

Three books published in Britain by Vacation-Work are sold in the United States by Peterson's Guides, Post Office Box 2123, Princeton, N.J. 08543; (800) 338-3282 or (609) 243-9111. Each is $13.95.

One is "1991 Directory of Overseas Summer Jobs," edited by David Woodworth. The book lists companies with worldwide placements, mainly resorts and British travel companies, and has listings for 43 countries (one is the United States).

"Summer Jobs Britain 1991," edited by Emily Hatchwell, is organized geographically, and has a list of organizations that have branches throughout Britain. Much of the information, such as tips on applying for a job, is applicable to Americans or other non-Britons, and there is a brief section on visa requirements for noncitizens who want to work in Britain.

Teaching English is one popular way to make money abroad and the jobs are longer in tenure than many in the books above.

"Teaching English Abroad," by Susan Griffith, lists schools in Western and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and Asia.

For each country or area the author discusses teaching prospects, how to get jobs in advance or on the spot, regulations for working foreigners and work conditions. It also gives information on training as a English teacher, directed at those who live in Britain.

Here are two sources for those looking for jobs lasting a year or two or more, generally in fields like engineering, health care, accounting, teaching or agriculture.

The International Employment Hotline is a monthly newsletter with listings and advice. A year's subscription is $36. Contact International Employment Hotline, Post Office Box 3030, Oakton, Va. 22124; (703) 620-1972.

Job Opportunities Bulletin is published by the Transcentury Recruitment Center, a consulting organization that recruits people to work on development projects in third-world countries, mainly in Africa. Contact "Job Opportunities Bulletin," 1724 Kalorama Road N.W., Washington, D.C., 20009; (202) 328-4400. The newsletter, published each two months, is $25 a year.

QUESTION: My husband and I plan to kayak in central Ireland this summer and along the west central coast. Is there an organization that can provide information? Can we rent a currach in the Bay of Galway?

ANSWER: A good place to start is the Irish Canoe Union in Dublin. According to Michael Scanlon of the canoe union (in Ireland, canoe usually means what Americans call a kayak), there are no rivers in central Ireland suitable for kayaking.

The main river, the Shannon, is plied by power boats, he said, and not recommended for kayaking. There are plenty of lakes, though, and he suggested Lough Corrib, Lough Mask and Lough Derg as the three of the best.

Kayaking is also quite popular in Galway Bay, either along the coast or, for the more experienced, farther out. There are many islands that kayakers can camp out on, he said.

Scanlon can supply schematic maps of areas requested that will indicate places to put in and out and where to rent equipment and buy provisions.

However, the best course is to call or write to him and after discussing your interests, he will direct you to one of the eight or nine union's centers around Ireland or to other local sources who can provide specific information and advice.

According to Scanlon, currachs - boats with skins or canvas stretched over wooden frames that are propelled by flattened poles - are not rented on Galway Bay or elsewhere. But, he said, fishermen on the Aran Islands, who still use currachs, will often take visitors out for a ride or on their rounds, usually for a small price.

Contact Michael Scanlon at the Irish Canoe Union, House of Sport, Long Mile Road, Dublin 12, Ireland; telephone 509838. When dialing from the United States, the country code for Ireland 353 and the city code for Dublin is 1. When calling from Ireland, the Dublin city code is 01.

QUESTION: I want to take my bicycle to Europe this summer. Once I arrive I will discard my bike box and will need to find another before I return from Paris. Where can one be found?

ANSWER: Bike boxes can be bought at the luggage desk at any of the train stations in Paris for about $3. Airlines also have them available at their luggage desks, sometimes immediately and sometimes with a few days' notice, so it is always wise to inquire ahead.

TWA says bike boxes, about $4, are always are available as does Air France, which sells them for about $10. Pan American and American supply the boxes at no cost.

QUESTION: Where can I get a list of U.S. Embassies?

ANSWER: A booklet called "Key Officers of Foreign Service Posts" lists 145 U.S. Embassies, 71 Consulates General, 26 Consulates and 11 Missions, with names of officers, addresses and telephone numbers. It is updated three times a year. The most recent version is available for $1.75 from Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402. A year's subscription is $5.