The Henri Bendel store has moved to Fifth Avenue into newly designed premises incorporating restored, turn-of-the-century landmark buildings.
The store occupies two restored buildings with fine, neoclassical facades - the Rizzoli (1907) and the Coty (1908) buildings - plus a new third townhouse, and space in a new office tower behind the older buildings.The centerpiece of the restoration is the Coty Building's three-story-high window wall with its Lalique art-glass windows. A four-story atrium rises behind the windows and shows them off to fine advantage - it will be open to the public throughout the year. Galleries around the atrium at each level give overall views of the windows' design and also let people walk directly behind the glass, looking out over Fifth Avenue.
The architectural firm of Beyer Blinder Belle, noted for preservation projects, was responsible for the restoration of the landmark buildings, windows and the new townhouse.