The murder-suicide of a Salt Lake couple over the weekend was all too familiar for some police officers and other family members.

The man who shot and killed his wife Saturday and then killed himself may have gotten the idea from his father, who shot and killed his wife in 1973 and then shot himself. Both murder-suicides apparently stemmed from family disputes.Saturday, Bea Lyday, 39, 519 N. 1400 West, was shot through the body and in the head by her husband while their 15-year-old daughter looked on. Police were called to the house after receiving reports of a family fight. A few minutes after the shooting, Jared Lee Lyday, 57, left his home and ran north through a residential neighborhood.

He later asked neighbors to give him a ride, police said. At the Jordan River State Park golf course, 1086 N. Redwood Road, he shot himself once in the head when officers approached the area.

Bea Lyday died Saturday afternoon while undergoing emergency surgery at LDS Hospital. Jared Lyday died Sunday at 11 a.m. in the intensive care unit of the hospital, hospital spokesman Craig Rasmussen said.

Police officers remembered Saturday's incident as very similar to one that occurred between Jared Lyday's parents nearly 18 years ago. "It was a similar carbon copy from what I can remember," Salt Lake Police homicide Lt. Jim Bell said.

On May 22, 1973, Jared Lyday's mother, Lois Lacy Lyday 63, was shot through the head near 1060 S. 900 West. The woman was en route to give a Relief Society lesson. A purse, a Bible, a Relief Society book and a framed religious quotation were found lying near her body - along with an empty pistol cartridge.

An eyewitness said he saw an older man and a woman arguing. He saw the man hold a gun to her head, shoot her and then drive off in a camper truck, according to Deseret News stories.

Police later discovered the truck of the woman's estranged husband at the State Capitol and began searching the Memory Grove area for the gunman. The man had broken the window of a state truck in the parking lot and left the keys to his own truck inside. He also left a note that read: "Jerry, I am already sorry I did it - but that don't help. Wish it had been different. If you can accept it and everything. Really sorry."

For several days, officers searched for Fitzhugh Lyday, 68, with no success. His body was found about two weeks later in Memory Grove. A 30-30 rifle was found by the body. Police said he had committed suicide. The estranged couple had been separated for about a year.

Neighbors said Jared and Bea Lyday had had marital problems for some time. Police often were called to the house. The couple had been separated for at least two months, but Bea Lyday went to the house Saturday to discuss finances with him.

For some reason, Jared Lyday "went into a frenzy and attacked" his 15-year-old daughter Honey, her friend Trina Betz and his wife, Bea Lyday, police said. Betz said he "had been hitting me and Honey with a hammer, and when Bea tried to stop him, he pulled out a gun."

Bell said "something snapped" with Jared Lyday, but police don't know why. "For no reason whatsoever can they tell us why he was hitting these girls with the hammer," he said.

Police said the woman was shot as she ran outside of the house. She then tried to hide underneath a pickup truck parked on the street but was shot again.

"I've known her for 23 years, and I was going to marry her for sure as soon as the divorce was final," said Joel Betz, Trina Betz's father.

"You wonder how this was living in his subconscious for all of these years," Bell said. "Is this scenario that's been in this guy's mind because his parents did it? There's no way that we can know that at this time."