Do you live in Bountiful and have flood insurance?

You might not need it any longer because of new flood insurance rate maps approved by the City Council this week.On the other hand, if you don't have flood insurance and need it, you might want to consider getting it.

The new flood insurance rate maps have greatly reduced the number of homes located within federally designated flood-plain zones in the city. In some areas, however, homes have been added to the flood plain.

Thanks to more than $9 million worth of flood-prevention construction following the disastrous floods of 1983, the city was able to get the Federal Energy Management Agency to redraw the flood-plain rate maps, which determine the areas considered to have a flood potential.

"The (flood-control) work . . . has greatly reduced the flood-plain areas of the city and will be of great financial benefit to many residents," said City Engineer Jack Balling.

Currently, 42 homeowners carry insurance policies worth $3.6 million. Those 42, however, represent only about 15 percent of the homeowners who live in the flood plain.

The average premium is more than $290, Balling said. Many residents, however, will now receive lower flood insurance rates. And some will no longer need flood insurance at all.

Balling estimated that up to 500 homes have been removed from the flood-plain areas along Stone Creek, Barton Creek, Mill Creek, Dry Hollow Creek No. 1 and North Canyon Creek.

However, in the northeast part of the city, along Dry Hollow Creek No. 2 and the North Fork Stone Creek, about 140 homes have been added to the flood-plain.

Douglas Gore, of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, praised Bountiful for its flood-control efforts but warned that the debris basins and concrete-lined channels need to be maintained.

"A significant reduction in flooding has occurred as a result of steps the city has taken," Gore said. "However, it doesn't mean that mudflows and floods won't happen."


(Additional information)

Have a flood of questions?

If you have questions about whether you are in a flood plain, you can do one or more of the following:

- Call the city engineer's office, 298-6125, and set up an appointment to come to City Hall to check the maps.

- Contact your local insurance agent.

- Ask your mortgage company. Many mortgages, especially those taken out since 1978, require flood insurance. The new flood maps may change your requirements.

- Call the Federal Insurance Administration, 1-800-638-6620.