Five Utah buildings and a prehistoric rock shelter have been nominated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
The nominees include two buildings constructed for the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, two early churches constructed by the Presbyterian Church, the Scipio town hall and one of the best-documented archaic archeological sites on the Colorado Plateau.The sites are being nominated by the Utah Historic and Cultural Sites Review Committee.
The Relief Society buildings are in Wellsville, Cache County, and in Ogden. The Wellsville building was constructed between 1875 and 1877 and is typical of structures built by the LDS Church throughout Utah and neighboring states. The building is one of the oldest surviving structures of its kind and was used by Relief Society women to produce clothing and quilts, to collect and store grain, for silk production and to provide assistance to the needy.
The Ogden building was constructed in 1902. While most Relief Society buildings were intended to serve small local congregations, the Ogden building was intended for multi-ward (congregation) use. This included meetings, concerts, dances and other cultural events. In 1926 the building was turned over to the Weber County chapter of Daughters of Utah Pioneers for use as a museum.
The Echo Presbyterian Church and school was built in 1876 on land donated by Elizabeth Emily Bromley. The church used the building on Sundays while the Echo School District used it during the week. The Presbyterian Church abandoned the building in 1902. From 1905 to 1963, the building was used by the LDS Church. The building was deeded to the Echo Community Historical Organization in 1983 and has been used as a community and recreation center.
The Green River Presbyterian Church, designed in traditional Victorian Gothic by well-known Utah architects Walter E. Ware and A.O. Treganza, was built in 1907. It served the Presbyterian congregation until 1958. Since that time the building has housed a non-denominational community church.
The Scipio town hall was built in 1935 with money from the federal Works Progress Administration. The building was used for civic and political functions including Friday and Saturday night movies. It was renovated as a senior citizens center in 1985.
Sudden Shelter is a prehistoric rock shelter located on the north bank of Ivie Creek in Salina Canyon. The site was first located by James Gunnerson in 1954 and excavated by a team from the University of Utah in 1974. The workers uncovered 150 hearths, 114 fire pits, 53 storage pits and several living floors.