March 15 was a busier-than-normal Friday night for Wendy Brimhall and her comrades in the Clearfield public-safety dispatch office.

Alcohol-related disturbances, loud parties, family fights, traffic accidents and a variety of medical emergencies kept the computer screens and switchboards aglow.Brimhall had plenty to do helping to save people in Clearfield.

But she also found time to save a life some 1,300 miles away in Texas.

Around 8 p.m., Brimhall answered a call from Lynn Gill, a Clearfield resident whose neighbor had a serious problem.

The neighbor was on the line talking to her sister, who was at a warehouse somewhere in the Dallas area. Distraught over finding out that her boyfriend was, in fact, married, the sister downed 60 to 70 amphetamines and was losing consciousness quickly.

It became Brimhall's job to find out where the girl was and to get her help.

"She didn't even know what city she was in. She just said she was in Dallas," recalled Brimhall. "We tried to trace her call through US WEST, but they weren't able to do it."

So Brimhall had Gill go back and forth to the neighbor's house to ask questions to ascertain the exact location of the overdose victim.

"She (the victim) described the warehouse she was at and what she could see around her," Brimhall said. Eventually, the girl said she believed she was in Grand Prairie, a community sandwiched between Dallas and Fort Worth.

After looking up the Grand Prairie Police Department's phone number on the national crime computer, Brimhall got ambulances rolling in the Texas town. Based on descriptions provided by the victim, the ambulance crews were searching for a near-unconscious female at a pay phone.

"It took them 25 to 30 minutes to find her."

After verifying that the ambulances had indeed arrived, Brimhall terminated the call to Gill and went on to another call.

The dispatcher has since heard that the victim was hospitalized for two days and probably would have died had she not received medical care in time.

To Brimhall, a five-year veteran with the city, it was just another routine call - almost.

"I didn't get to see the end result. Usually we are on the line and hear the paramedics arrive at the scene, and then we hear from them when they arrive at the hospital. And then we hear from them after it's all over. But that wasn't the case here."

Her efforts, though, did not go unrecognized. The Clearfield City Council has honored Brimhall as Employee of the Month.

"We're pretty proud of what she did and her professionalism," said Steve Layton, Brimhall's supervisor.