Two youths were injured Monday after a fire - fueled by gasoline - roared through a bedroom and hall area in a Salt Lake County home.

Six boys ranging from 12 to 16 years in age were in the house at 1639 W. 4300 South when flames erupted in an upstairs bedroom. The owners of the house were at work when the fire started.An open gallon of gasoline in the bedroom burst into flames when one of the boys played with a cigarette lighter, said Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Dennis Steadman.

"They were real lucky to get out of there, that gasoline spilled and spread out," he said.

Ricky Gallegos, 13, and Joey Gallegos, 12, were both treated for facial burns and smoke inhalation at University Hospital following the midnight blaze.

Thick smoke blackened walls from the ceiling to within 18 inches from the floor of the home.

The fire and smoke caused $17,000 damage. No other injuries were reported.