The United Way Volunteer Center has listings of many service projects of non-profit and government agencies in Utah County that need help.

Lorri Hirst, volunteer center director, said the projects are great for clubs, church groups, groups of employees or a youth project. The following ideas are just a sampling.- Make homemade Mother's Day cards and deliver them or send them to women staying in a local nursing home. You can also decorate the individual residents' rooms with a spring theme.

- Help a group of handicapped adults participate in a Hawaiian Night activity on April 18 from 6 to 8 p.m. Volunteers will help serve food and implement games and activities.

- Put together activity kits for children staying at the 24-hour crisis nursery. Include coloring books, crayons, arts-and-craft proj-ects and more.

- Make flannel boards and flannel-board figures for children staying with their mothers in the battered women's shelter or for the handicapped children at the early intervention preschool. You must supply your own materials.

- Volunteers are needed to help with the Special Olympics. Volunteers may help with the Regional Games on May 1 and 4 (attend training meeting April 15), help a team practice softball on Mondays from 3:30 to 5 p.m. or practice track-and-field events on Tuesdays from 6 to 7 p.m. throughout April.

- Read children's stories into a tape recorder for handicapped children to listen to at a later time. You must donate the tape and use your own recorder.

- Collect and donate used board games, books and magazines (in excellent condition) for the youths staying at the Provo Detention Center.

- Help feed the homeless. Groups of eight or fewer are needed to help daily from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Volunteers help rewarm the food, set the table and clean up after the meal is over. Volunteers are also needed to prepare and donate food for the evening meal and the noon sack lunch program.

- Form a traveling "cleanup crew" and wash windows at many non-profit agencies in one day. Or wash vans that are used to transport handicapped individuals (if weather is warm).

- Bake and decorate birthday cakes for the mentally retarded residents at the Utah State Training School in American Fork. You may even help with the birthday party.

For more information on these and many other group service project ideas, call the United Way Volunteer Center, 374-8108.