Quarterback David Archer says the Miami Dolphins gave him a chance, but now he needs for another team to do the same.

The Dolphins on Sunday waived the third-string quarterback, who directed a winning touchdown drive in the first exhibition game but struggled in last week's preseason finale."I feel like the competition was very fair," said Archer, 26, a former starter for the Atlanta Falcons and former Snow College standout. "They made it fun for me. Now I just have to wait and see.

"I know I can still play. I just hope somebody gives me a chance."

Archer, signed in May, said he was surprised to be released. The team now has only two quarterbacks, Dan Marino and Ron Jaworski.

Archer was one of 10 players released as the Dolphins reduced their roster to 49. It must be pared to the regular-season limit of 47 by Tuesday afternoon.

Archer rallied the Dolphins to victory in their London exhibition opener against San Francisco. But he hit only five of 13 passes and was sacked four times in Friday's loss at Minnesota.

"We just didn't feel strongly enough about his play after London to warrant keeping him," Coach Don Shula said. "He knows he struggled some in the last couple of weeks, not only in the game. There were a couple of days when he didn't have good days of practice."