"Put poison in its place" was the theme for the 30th annual observance of Poison Prevention Week.

In 1989, more than 30,000 poisonings were reported to the Regional Poison Control Center, and nearly 70 percent of these were accidental poisonings that occurred in children 5 years old or younger.Household cleaning products, cosmetics, shampoo, mouthwash, hair spray, pain and fever-reducing medicines and plants are the most common substances for poisonings.

Experts at the Utah Poison Center say it takes just a moment for a poisoning to occur.

Beyond cabinet locks and child-resistant caps, officials offer these safety tips:

- If the phone or doorbell rings, take the child with you.

- Don't leave children unattended with a household product or craft project.

- Don't store mouthwashes on the bathroom sink within a child's reach.

- Never refer to medicine as candy or take it while a child is watching.

- Take the time to replace child-resistant caps.

The Utah Poison Center - 581-2151 - is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by pharmacists and nurses who are specialists in poison information.

For information, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Utah Poison Center, 50 North Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132.