Amy Y. Valentine, a retired professor of Spanish who has been active in civic work and Republican Party politics, is Provo's Reed Smoot Citizen of the Year.
The award was announced by Steve Densley, president of the Provo/Orem Chamber of Commerce. The chamber will honor Valentine and 10 other recipients of Reed Smoot Citizenship Awards at a gala awards banquet May 9 at 6:30 p.m. in the Wilkinson Center Memorial Lounge, Brigham Young University. For ticket information, call 224-3636.This is the third year for the awards, which are designed to honor citizens who distinguish themselves through service to the Provo community, said Judy Bell, chairwoman of the awards committee. It is a counterpart to Orem's Arthur V. Watkins Outstanding Citizenship Awards, also sponsored by the chamber.
Winners of the Reed Smoot Special Citizenship Awards are:
- Cindy Richards, outstanding service.
- Beverly Dunford, outstanding contribution to the cultural arts.
- Seven Peaks/Excelsior (Victor and Suzanne Borcherds), business of the year.
- Doyle Jensen, businessman of the year.
- Trieste Goodwill, businesswoman of the year.
- Jeff Alexander, outstanding service to the chamber.
- Gregory A. Hudnall, educator of the year.
- Jennifer Talley, student of the year, Provo.
- Tiffany Seamons, student of the year, Timpview.
- Kandice Hartvigsen, student of the year, Independence.
"It is a delight to choose these outstanding citizens for recognition," Bell said. "They set wonderful examples of positive influence in the community."
When her husband was killed in an accident in 1967, Valentine, a mother of four children, began teaching Spanish at BYU, where she had earned a degree in the subject 25 years earlier. She also became active in politics, serving first as a delegate to the National Republican Convention. She was active in county, state and national conventions and served as a national committee member of the Republican Party.
She has been president of the Provo/Orem Chamber of Commerce Women's Division and president of BYU Faculty Women.