The National Collegiate Athletic Association said it would release the findings Wednesday from its two-year investigation into alleged infractions by University of Minnesota men's athletic department.

Meanwhile, university officials scheduled a news conference late Wednesday morning to discuss the results. Expected to be present are university President Nils Hasselmo, athletic director Rick Bay and other representatives of the men's athletic department.A five-member NCAA infractions committee met last month in California to hear university officials state their case.

The alleged violations in the football, basketball and wrestling programs involve former football coach Lou Holtz, fired administrator Luther Darville, football coach John Gutekunst and basketball coach Clem Haskins.

The NCAA completed a 2 1/2-year investigation in mid-December, citing the university for 21 allegations.

The most serious allegations appeared to be those stemming from illegal payments to student-athletes made by Darville. Darville subsequently was convicted of three counts of theft by swindle and served prison time, and university officials have argued that they were unaware of Darville's activities.

The basketball team was placed on two years' probation with minor sanctions in March 1988, qualifying the university as a repeat offender.

Haskins has said on several occasions that serious penalties would cause him to consider his coaching future at the university.

"This matter has been hanging over our heads for a long time," said Mark Dienhart, associate athletic director. "We're looking forward to getting this behind us once and for all and moving on."