President Corazon Aquino's national security adviser said Tuesday former first lady Imelda Marcos should be allowed to return to the Philippines since she no longer is a threat to the government's stability.
"Why should we be afraid of a person? I think we can handle the situation," said national security adviser Rafael Ileto, a retired general.He said the Philippines has survived a series of natural and man-made disasters during the past year and is prepared to handle the return of Marcos.
The issue of Marcos's return has confronted Aquino after a Swiss court ruled last year the government could recover only $350 million in Swiss deposits if it filed criminal charges against her in Manila. A criminal case requires the presence of Marcos.