An Arabian horse died and another had to be shot after they were trapped with three other Arabian horses in a barn that burned early Tuesday morning.

Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Dennis Steadman said a heat lamp that was warming chicks inside the barn is being blamed for the fire, which destroyed the barn and caused at least $42,000 in damage, including the loss of the horses and saddles and tack inside the barn.Riverton volunteer firefighters were the first to arrive at the 4 a.m. blaze and led four of the horses out of the burning barn. Firefighters were unsure later in the morning whether the three surviving horses would also have to be destroyed because of their extensive injuries from smoke inhalation and burns.

The barn is owned by Ray Warner, 3793 W. 12600 South, and was used to board horses and house equipment from his air conditioning business, Steadman said.