An unattended candle caused a fire Sunday afternoon that destroyed one side of a Provo duplex and sent a 29-year-old woman to the hospital with second-degree burns.

Provo Fire Capt. Chuck Tandy said firefighters responded to 734 S. 320 West at 3:20 p.m. and found one side of the duplex engulfed in flames. The fire advanced to the building's attic, but firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to the other side. Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 25 minutes.Investigators said the fire started when the apartment's resident, LeNay Shacher, fell asleep and a burning candle ignited nearby furnishings. Shacher was transported to the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and treated for burns to her lower legs and arms.

The other side of the duplex suffered smoke and water damage. The duplex, owned by Kelly Montgomery, suffered about $38,000 in total damages. About $10,000 in furnishings was destroyed.