READINGS AND EVENTS
JAN BRETT, a best-selling children's author and illustrator, will visit two Salt Lake bookstores this week.On Monday, March 25, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., she will be at The Children's Hour bookstore on 900 South just above 900 East. Then from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. she will be at Sam Weller's bookstore, 254 S. Main.
Brett has illustrated more than 20 books, including "Goldilocks" and "The Mitten." She will sign copies of her latest, "The Owl and the Pussycat."
- RICK BASS, the Montana fiction writer, will sign his latest book, "Winter: Notes from Montana," at 7 p.m. Monday, March 25, at A Book Store, 130 N. 100 East in Logan.
- THE PARK LIBRARY will host a discussion of Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire" at 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 27. For information call 943-4636.
- WILLIAM STAFFORD, Oregon poet, will be in residence at two Utah schools during the next two weeks. He will be at Weber State University in Ogden Monday through Thursday, March 25 to March 28, then will move on to the College of Eastern Utah.
For information about public events and readings, contact the Utah Arts Council, 533-5895.
- LARRY LEVIS will read his poetry on Thursday, March 28, at 240 S. Main in Salt Lake City. Levis is the author of "The After-Life" and "Western Stars." Christopher Sullivan will also offer original guitar music. For information call 972-6739.CONTESTS
- THE LEAGUE OF UTAH WRITERS is offering a list of all its writing competitions and rules. Send $1 and a self-addressed stamped envelope to Norbert Bensch, 564 E. 4050 South, #9H, Murray, UT 84107.DEATHS
- JOHN BELLAIRS, who wrote "The House With the Clock in Its Walls" and 14 other children's books, has died of heart disease at his home in Haverhill, Mass. He was 53. "The House With the Clock" was published in 1973 and is in its 16th printing. The story was adapted for a made-for-television movie.
- JOHN VOELKER, author of the best-seller "Anatomy of a Murder" and a former Michigan Supreme Court justice, has died at 87. - AP
Michigan State Police said Voelker suffered a heart attack March 18 while driving to his home on a back road north of Ishpeming. - UPI