College students will pay anywhere from $30 to $333 more to attend school in Utah next fall.
The state Board of Regents, in its monthly meeting held at Weber State University, on Friday officially approved the undergraduate tuition increases for the 1991-92 school year.The smallest increase will be $30 for a Utah resident attending Snow College. A non-resident student at the University of Utah will pay the largest increase - $333.
Tuition increases are traditionally set each March after the Legislature settles on the higher education budget. The 1991-92 tuition and fees increases, however, are based on figures first proposed by the regents during their budget hearings last fall.
Last fall, the regents agreed to raise tuition 6 percent at the four-year institutions; 4 percent at Snow College, College of Eastern Utah and Utah Valley Community College; and 3 percent at Salt Lake Community College and Dixie College.
The smaller increase at SLCC and Dixie is a temporary adjustment to close a tuition gap that exists between the community colleges. Later, UVCC will raise its tuition 5.3 percent rather than the 4 percent approved by the regents in an effort too close the tuition gap more quickly.
The actual increases to students don't match the regent guidelines exactly. When fees are added, the overall increases are slightly below or above the regent-approved increases because the fees aren't raised by the same percentage. The increases in tuition and fees range from 2.61 percent to 5.82 percent.
1991-92 college costs
Tuition/ Increase Percentage
University of Utah
- Resident $1,981.50 $97.50 5.18
- Non-resident $5,619 $333 5.82
Utah State University
- Resident $1,680 $121 5.07
- Non-resident $4,662 $249 5.64
Weber State University
- Resident $1,458 $60 4.29
- Non-resident $3,954 $201 5.36
Southern Utah University
- Resident $1,410 $60 4.44 - - Non-resident $3,777 $195 5.44
- Resident $1,035 $30 2.99 - - Non-resident $2,775 $96 3.58
- Resident $1,186.17 $30.12 2.61
- Non-resident $3,236.25 $91.29 2.90
College of Eastern Utah
- Resident $1,043.25 $38.25 3.81
- Non-resident $2,815.50 $106.50 3.93
Utah Valley Comm. Coll.
- Resident $1,858.50 $67.50 3.77
- Non-resident $5,319 $189 3.82
Salt Lake Comm. Coll.
- Resident $1,281 $42 3.39
- Non-resident $3,558 $120 3.49
*Annual cost for 15 credit hours for 3 quarters; UVCC cost for two semesters