Clearing the crossing
North Salt Lake City Council members suggested several possibilities for alleviating long traffic delays at a Center Street train crossing, including:
- Putting a telephone (at the railroad's expense) near the intersection so motorists can call the railroad when a stopped train blocks the road.
- Placing a sign (at city expense) at the crossing telling motorists of the potential blockages and listing phone number for railroad complaints.
- Installing a clock on the crossing guard to track how long stopped trains block the road.
- Parking long trains on the unbroken stretch of track between Centerville and Farmington - where there are no crossings to block - instead of in North Salt Lake.
- Possible construction of an overpass.