A fire that apparently started in a basement boiler filled the rear portion of the Bigelow Apartments, 225 S. 400 East, with smoke and forced the evacuation of the building Sunday night.

Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Steve Higgs said the fire spread from the boiler to upper units through pipe chases. Heavy smoke was billowing out of the rear of the three-story building when firefighters arrived shortly after 8 p.m.Most of the 30 apartments were vacant, but a half-dozen residents were forced out of their units and watched anxiously from the parking lot as firefighters battled the fire. No one was injured.

Higgs said the fire was confined to the back section of the structure and was brought under control in 20 minutes. No damage estimate was available.