A grease fire gutted a basement kitchen and caused an estimated $24,000 damage to a house and its contents at 3620 S. Candis Drive Sunday afternoon.

Salt Lake County Fire Lt. Dennis Steadman said the occupants of the basement apartment, two missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, apparently left a stove burner on by mistake under a pan filled with grease.When they returned at about 2:30 p.m., they found flames spreading through the kitchen cabinets and up into the upstairs residence of the Ted Hatch family, which was not at home at the time.

"They attempted to put out the fire with water but were unable to gain control of it and called the fire department," said Steadman.

Thirteen firefighters from the county and West Valley City contended with heavy smoke and extreme heat and had the fire out within 15 minutes. No one was injured in the blaze. Steadman said the fire caused extensive smoke damage.